About 86 percent of people who have COVID-19 lose some or all of their ability to smell. But the majority who lost their sense of smell (almost 55 percent) had a mild form of the disease, according to new research published this week.
Researchers say the reason for this isn’t well understood. But they think that patients with mild illness may have higher levels of certain antibodies that limit COVID-19 from spreading to the nose.
However, a definitive answer remains elusive, Dr. Jonathan Overdevest, assistant professor of rhinology and skull base surgery at Columbia University, told Healthforcaste.
“We know that smell loss in COVID-19 is more than the simple mechanism we see with seasonal upper respiratory infections, where common symptoms of nasal congestion and runny nose result in poor airflow and reduced delivery of odors to the region of the nose responsible for smell,” he said.
Severe COVID-19 patients least affected
The study analyzed patient-reported data from 2,581 individuals across 18 European hospitals.
Researchers found almost 55 percent of patients with a mild form of COVID-19 experienced some degree of smell loss (anosmia). The loss of smell lasted about 22 days.
This is compared to roughly 37 percent of moderate-to-critical cases of the disease. And patients who survived severe-to-critical COVID-19 reported loss of smell the least, at only 6.9 percent.
Asked why loss of smell might be more common in mild rather than severe cases of COVID-19, Overdevest said the large number of mild cases might have something to do with it.
“Clarity on this association is limited by a number of confounding factors. However, a major limitation to drawing this conclusion is one of bias and statistics,” he said. “Where the sheer number of milder COVID-19 cases compared to severe cases provides a broader population of individuals to have experienced smell alteration.”
Most patients eventually recovered
Nearly 25 percent of affected people said they didn’t recover the sense of smell even 60 days after losing it.
“According to the study, the majority of people recover their sense of smell within 3 weeks,” said Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York. “But it may take up to 2 months in 15 percent of patients or up to 6 months in just under 5 percent of patients.”
Glatter emphasized that in the majority of patients so far, it doesn’t appear to be a permanent loss. However, he cautioned that “we still need to closely monitor patients who continue to have loss of smell.”
According to Glatter, other respiratory viruses such as cold viruses (rhinoviruses) or other common coronaviruses can lead to temporary loss of smell and taste for up to a week.
“People typically recover quickly with no long-term impairment of senses of taste or smell,” he said, and explained that it’s typically related to simple nasal congestion or swelling of nasal passages, “as opposed to injury to supporting cells for critical nerve cells seen in people diagnosed with COVID-19.”
President Tests Positive After Taking COVID-19 Jab
President Has Tested Positive After Taking COVID-19 Jab.
healthforcast reports that the president of Argentina Alberto Fernandez who has been vaccinated against COVID-19, on Friday announced that he has tested positive for the virus.
“At the end of today, after presenting a fever of 37.3 and a slight headache, I performed an antigen test, which was positive,” he tweeted, adding he was waiting for the results of a PCR test to confirm the diagnosis.
Fernandez, who marked his 62 birthday on Friday was in isolation as a precaution but said he was “physically well.”
“Although I would have liked to end my birthday without this news, I am also in good spirits,” he said.
The Argentina President was vaccinated with the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and had his second shot on February 11, sources in the presidency told AFP.
Argentina is facing a second wave of coronavirus with a sustained rise in cases.
The South American country of 44 million inhabitants has recorded more than 2.3 million infections and over 55,000 deaths from Covid-19.
SURVEY!!! Over 50% of Nigerians Set To Take Covid-19 Vaccine
As against earlier studies which showed that up to 75% of Nigerians are ready to be vaccinated, The National Primary Health Care Development Agency has announced that over 50% of Nigerians have admitted that they will take the Covid-19 vaccines.
This was disclosed by NPHCDA CEO, Dr. Faisal Shuaib in an interview with Channels TV on Monday night.
“We cannot take any individual for granted. I am also aware from my experiences in the polio vaccination drive that Nigerians are logical people,” he said.
He added that there has been a recorded shift from 75% who said they won’t take the vaccines to over 50% of Nigerians who admit they will take it and also urged that it’s important to provide more information to those not sure.
“We have seen a gradual shift from a situation where up to 75% of Nigerians said they will not take the vaccines
“We are now beginning to see over 50% of Nigerians say they will take the vaccines and the remaining 50% are cut between 25% who say they won’t take it and 25% that are not so sure.
“It’s is important we reach a critical number of Nigerians to achieve herd immunity, if we don’t achieve that, we are going to be here for a very long time,” Shuaib said.
Five More Countries Suspend AstraZeneca Vaccination Exercise
The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has said it is aware of the increasing concerns about the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, noting that Nigeria has suffered a major setback in the campaign to make citizens and residents take the jabs.
The Genius Media Nigeria gathered that the PTF also decried that some prominent Nigerians had been using the cases of side effects, especially in Europe to discourage their followers from accepting the vaccine.
The National Coordinator of the PTF, Dr. Sani Aliyu, who was represented by the National Incident Manager, Dr. Muktar Muhammad, made this known at the press conference of the task force on Monday.
Muhammad stated this as five more countries halted the administration of the vaccine because of the fear of the possible deadly side effects.
Recall that The Federal Government had on Thursday said Nigeria would continue to administer the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine despite its suspension by eight European countries.
On Thursday, eight European countries – Denmark, Norway, Austria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Iceland, and Luxembourg – suspended all or part of its roll-out as a precaution while they investigated concerns relating to blood clots and other side effects caused by the vaccine.
The Minister of State for Health, Dr. Olorunnimbe Mamora; and a prominent virologist, Prof Oyewale Tomori, had separately told The PUNCH that there was nothing to worry about.
The Federal Government two weeks ago received 3.94 million doses of the vaccine from the COVAX facility, an initiative co-led by the Vaccine Alliance, GAVI, and the World Health Organisation.
Despite the assurance by the government on Thursday, the National Incident Manager, Muhammad, on Monday, said, “We have suffered a major setback in the last few hours regarding the taunted safety and efficacy of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. We have seen in the news how some countries have deferred the usage of this vaccine or have suspended its use. The list of the European countries is growing.
“However, it is very reassuring to see that the regulatory agencies in those countries have continued to emphasize that the vaccine is safe and that the incidents of blood clotting reported in the patients are not higher than the risk of blood clotting in people who are not vaccinated. So, it is something really reassuring.
“It is also heart-warming to see that the WHO has again issued statements – over the last few days, the WHO has been bringing out statements regarding the safety and efficacy of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. It is therefore important that we take this information seriously and that we use it as a guide towards the implementation of our programs.”
The Incident Manager noted that Nigeria’s health sector, especially the Federal Ministry of Health, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control and National Health Care Development Agency, was “working not only to reassure Nigerians but also to make a determination to continue to get information regarding any side effects that people are experiencing in this country.”
He added, “So, with this, I will say that the available information from the clinical trials has shown that the vaccine is generally safe and efficacious, and that it has an efficacy of about 70 percent. The side effects are usually mild, which include fever, cough and cold. Any symptoms that have persisted more than 24 hours should be reported through the right channel at the state level, through the PHCDA and the state case managers.”
The PTF warned Nigerians against capitalizing on the arrival of the vaccine in the country to flout the laid-down COVID-19 protocols, which include the use of face masks, observance of physical distancing at public events.
The task force also urged state governments to intensify efforts at enforcement of health regulations signed by the President “until we reach a certain point where we are comfortable with the level of immunity in the country.”
Muhammad said, “It is sad to note that some people of very high positions, particularly some political and religious leaders, have used this opportunity to provide misinformation to the public regarding the response and the efficacy of the vaccine.
“We urge them to please contact the relevant experts in the field before they make these pronouncements. Any pronouncement by a responsible political or religious leader to a gathering should be based on science and facts, and not just what they feel at that moment.”
Spain, Germany, France, Italy, Holland pause AstraZeneca vaccine rollout
As the PTF advised Nigerians, Spain, Germany, France, Holand and Italy on Monday were the latest European countries to temporarily suspend the rollout of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
According to CNN, the countries suspended the rollout of the vaccine over a small number of blood clot concerns, going against the advice of international medical agencies as a third wave of infections looms over the continent.
Spain’s health minister, Carolina Darias, announced in a nationally televised news conference Monday that the country would stop using the vaccine for two weeks.
She said, “It is a temporary and precautionary suspension until the risks can be evaluated by the European Medicines Agency.”
Similarly, German health minister, Jens Spahn, on Monday said the country would pause inoculations as a precaution, following reports of a handful of cases of blood clots in people vaccinated with the AstraZeneca shot in Denmark and Norway.
France and Italy also halted their rollouts of the vaccine on Monday, pending review by the EU’s medicines regulator, the European Medicines Agency.
French President, Emmanuel Macron, said, “We have decided to suspend the use of AstraZeneca as a precautionary measure and are hoping to resume it quickly if the EMA’s advice allows it.”
The Dutch government said its suspension, which will last until at least 29 March, was a precaution.
Also on Monday, the Federal Government cautioned Nigerians to be wary of the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic as being experienced in some countries.
The government also told Nigerians to be careful of home-based care as there might not be enough facilities and personnel to manage patients in times of emergencies.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, stated these during a press conference of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
He stated, “As of March 14 2021, our bed occupancy had reduced to 1.22 percent and active cases stand at 13,245. Unfortunately, Nigeria crossed 2,000 fatalities on March 12, 2021, and we have now recorded 2,013 deaths.
“The PTF will like to caution Nigerians on home-based care as there may not be enough facilities and personnel to manage patients in times of emergencies.
“It is in this vein that concerted efforts have been made to ensure that oxygen is available for patients in all the 46 facilities.”
He acknowledged reports from all over the world in the last few days focusing on the safety and side effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine being currently rolled out in Nigeria.
The SGF, however, said that the Nigerian authorities had tested and authorized the use of the vaccine because it was safe and efficacious.
The SGF said discussions with the KLM and Emirate Airlines were still ongoing on the issue of pre-boarding testing for passengers, whose final destinations of travel were their home bases.
According to him, KLM resumed outbound flights from Lagos on March 15, 2021, without RDTs, while a letter has been written to Emirates Airlines to suspend flights with effect from the midnight of Wednesday, March 17, 2021.
Mustapha said the arrival of the vaccine had not in any way distracted the government from pursuing the national response to COVID-19 as originally conceptualized, as well as testing, detection, tracing, isolation and treatment.
He stated, “For the avoidance of doubt, the virus is very potent and people still get infected. It is also a fact that the vaccination process has only just begun. It has been reported that some countries are recording a third wave of cases.
“We urge all Nigerians to recognize that we are not yet out of the woods. Therefore, the PTF shall continue to emphasis and promote strict adherence to the NPIs.”
Police Arrest Eight Land Grabbers In Ogun
The men of Nigeria Police Force, Criminal Investigation Department, CID Headquarters Abuja has arrested Alhaji Shesan Mustapha Jamiu 48,...
Popular Actor-Politician, Desmond Elliot Lands In Trouble Again
TRIXX NG Reports that popular actor cum politician, Desmond Elliot has landed in fresh trouble as he...
Firstbank Hosts Webinar To Sensitise Individuals And Businesses On Staying Protected In The Information Age
First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Nigeria’s leading financial inclusion services provider has announced a webinar to...
BREAKING! Supreme Court Rules Out Ararume, Frank Ibezim Case In Imo North Bye-Election
The Imo north senatorial election that occurred on December 5, 2020 is likely to produce a winner soon going...
AGF, Abubakar Malami Reportedly Slumps At Event
AGF and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), on Monday slumped before being revived during an official assignment...
NEWS2 weeks ago
BREAKING! US President, Joe Biden Stumbles Again While Climbing Air Force Plane (VIDEO)
NEWS2 weeks ago
FG Extends NIN-SIM Linkage Deadline To May 6
CRIME2 weeks ago
FG Expose Sponsors Of Boko Haram, Reveal How They Operate From Overseas
EVENTS2 weeks ago
Emirates Keeps Trust In The Air And Marks Vaccination Rollout With UAE Milestone
CRIME2 weeks ago
Eight Die, Four Injured As Bandits Open Fire On Travelers In Kaduna
HEALTH3 months ago
CRIME2 weeks ago
BREAKING! Three Police Officers Dead, Four Missing As Akwa Ibom Communal Clash Thickens
NEWS2 weeks ago
How Prophet Isreal Oladele Was Granted Bail For Having Hypertension, Ulcer, Diabetes